Founded in 1965, San Diego Opera is a highly regarded member of the international opera community and an invaluable cultural resource to the San Diego region. The mission of San Diego Opera is to deliver exceptional performances and exciting, accessible programs to diverse audiences, focusing on community partnerships and the transformative and expressive power of the human voice. The company’s vision is to be recognized globally as a leading example of adaptability, innovation and sustainability, promoting diversity on stage, in our repertoire, and in our staff and leadership, with a commitment to world-class and emerging talent, and innovative use of technology.
INSTITUTIONAL GIVING OFFICER
The Institutional Giving Officer reports to the Chief Development Officer and works in collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, the General Director, the Chief Operating and Financial Officer, and other members of the staff to create and implement fundraising strategies to sustain and expand institutional support for the company. The Officer is responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of corporate, foundation, and government donors and prospects and for writing and timely submission of grant proposals and reports.
- Create compelling, fundable proposals and reports to all institutional funders that articulate the mission and programs of San Diego Opera
- Build and maintain relationships with the leadership of local and regional foundations, elected officials and policy advisors, and corporate grants programs officers
- Conduct research and identify and cultivate new sources of institutional revenue
- Work with Chief Development Officer and General Director to engage Board and Development Committee members in cultivating relationships with institutional donors
- Work with executive leadership and program staff to identify ongoing and potential projects suitable for grant funding
- Create and implement strategies for donor acknowledgment and recognition, in partnership with the Chief Development Officer and Media Relations Director
- Engage in arts advocacy at the local and state levels, including drafting correspondence and official remarks
- Oversee all aspects of grant administration and corporate benefits fulfillment
- Develop materials for regular communications with funders and prospects including brochures, and interim reports
- Prepare reports for external audiences (e.g., SDO Annual Report, DataArts, OPERA America Survey)
- Ensure accurate and timely records of all pledges and gifts, in collaboration with Development Operations Manager and Finance department
- Track stewardship actions using Tessitura Plans and create a calendar of grant deadlines
- Attend performances, rehearsals, and development department special events as required
- Three years of progressive development experience, with increased responsibilities, preferably in an arts organization
- Familiarity with and interest in opera is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven track record in foundation and corporate grants, and establishing relationships with government entities
Send resume (cover letter optional) in PDF format to AssociateSearch@sdopera.org. Subject Line: Your Last Name_Development Associate Search.