Stay Tuned For Updates On Next Season!To join the Student Night at the Opera email list, please send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Remaining 2017-18 STUDENT NIGHTS AT THE OPERA
Florencia en el Amazonas  by Daniel Catán (sung in Spanish with projected English supertitles)
Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:30 – 8:45 P.M.
All performances will be at the San Diego Civic Theatre in downtown San Diego.
The lights have dimmed. The conductor raises the baton, and the curtain goes up! Welcome to a night at the opera, made accessible and affordable to students in Grades 3-12!
The Student Night at the Opera Program provides students and their chaperones access to the final dress rehearsal of our mainstage productions. You'll hear the opera stars sing accompanied by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra, see the cast and chorus in spectacular costumes, watch the backstage set transformations and, on occasion, be introduced to some of the performers and crew who make the productions possible....And as with all San Diego Opera productions, English translations projected above the stage let you follow every detail of the action. The audience will see the operas in their entirety.
Thanks to generous donations from our sponsors, each year more than 7,500 students attend San Diego Opera performances in the Civic Theatre in one of the most popular Education programs offered by the Company.
AUDIENCE: Grades 3-12 ONLY and chaperones *(This program is not designed for students younger than 3rd grade. The theatre does not have facilities to adequately address the needs of infants.)
PROGRAM LENGTH: Between 2 and 3 hours.
TICKETS: Tickets may be requested only through our online form. Please send an email to email@example.com with your complete contact information to ensure you are notified when we begin accepting ticket requests. Advance registration is required - please make your request as soon as possible.
COST: Tickets are free of charge, but advance registration is REQUIRED.
BUSING GUIDELINES: In order to ensure that Student Night at the Opera is as accessible and affordable as possible for the community, San Diego Opera will reimburse schools and groups for busing expenses. Please be aware that we have new guidelines for busing reimbursement this coming season:
- You must schedule your own buses.
- Schools in districts that provide school buses must use those district buses. San Diego Opera is not able to reimburse schools with access to school district buses for charter bus expenses.
- To be eligible for reimbursements,schools and groups without access to district buses must use of the approved companies listed below.* San Diego Opera cannot accept an invoice from any other company unless it is pre-approved in writing by SDO staff before the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Only schedule a bus after you have been informed about the status of your request.
- The maximum busing reimbursement amount for any school or group is $600. Any busing expenses beyond $600 will be the responsibility of the school or group.
- To be reimbursed for Student Night at the Opera busing expenses your district transportation department or bus company should invoice San Diego Opera directly (the maximum invoice amount is $600), and within three weeks of the Student Night event, by submitting an electronic invoice to email@example.com.
APPROVED BUSING COMPANIES
Grand Pacific Charter
Phone: (760) 945-8400
Phone: (760) 741-9953
El Cajon, CA
Phone: (877) 743–3843
CURRICULUM: This program enhances drama/theatre arts, music arts, visual arts, history, and language learning. Please visit this link to learn more about our free docent program that prepares students for Student Night at the Opera.
Funding for this program has been provided, in part, by The Alexander and Eva Nemeth Foundation, The City of Encinitas and Mizel Family Foundation Community Grant Program, The County of San Diego Community Enhancement Program, and the Ellen Browning Scripps Foundation.
This program is limited to ORGANIZED GROUPS OF YOUTH and SCHOOL GROUPS ONLY (Public City and County Schools, Private Schools, and Home Schools registered with the Board of Education). Chaperone ratios are limited to: no more than ONE chaperone per TEN students attending via school bus transportation, and no more than ONE chaperone per FOUR students attending via car. Don't miss out on this exciting program!
Special thanks to the following organizations that support San Diego Opera's education programs: