Student Night at the Opera
The request period for La Traviata has now ended.
LA TRAVIATA by Giuseppe Verdi (sung in Italian with projected English supertitles)
Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:30pm
All performances will be at the San Diego Civic Theatre in downtown San Diego.
The lights have dimmed. The conductor raises the baton, and the curtain goes up! Welcome to a night at the opera, made accessible and affordable to students in Grades 3-12!
The Student Night at the Opera Program provides students and their chaperones access to the final dress rehearsal of our mainstage productions. You'll hear the opera stars sing accompanied by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra, see the cast and chorus in spectacular costumes, watch the backstage set transformations and, on occasion, be introduced to some of the performers and crew who make the productions possible....And as with all San Diego Opera productions, English translations projected above the stage let you follow every detail of the action. The audience will see the operas in their entirety.
Thanks to generous donations from our Sponsors, each year more than 8,000 students attend San Diego Opera performances in the Civic Theatre in one of the most popular Education programs offered by the Company.
AUDIENCE: Grades 3-12 ONLY and chaperones *(This program is not designed for students younger than 3rd grade. The theatre does not have facilities to adequately address the needs of infants.)
PROGRAM LENGTH: Between 2 and 3 hours.
TICKETS: Tickets may be requested only through our online form. Please send an email to email@example.com with your complete contact information to ensure you are notified when we begin accepting orders. WE WILL NO LONGER BE SENDING AN ORDER PACKET IN THE MAIL. Advance registration is required - please make your request as soon as possible.
COST: Tickets are free of charge, but advance registration is REQUIRED.
FREE BUSING: In order to ensure that Student Night at the Opera is as accessible and affordable as possible for the community, San Diego Opera will reimburse schools and groups for busing expenses. Please be aware that we have new guidelines for busing reimbursement this coming season:
- Public schools in districts that provide school buses must use those district buses. San Diego Opera is not able to reimburse public schools with access to school district buses for charter bus expenses.
- In order to be eligible for free busing, groups without access to district buses (e.g. private schools, organized groups of youth and public schools in districts that do not have district buses) must use Goldfield Stage, the Preferred Student Night at the Opera Transportation Provider. Please contact Goldfield Stage at (619) 579–5300 or 877–743–3843 or firstname.lastname@example.org after you have been informed about the status of your ticket request.
- The maximum busing reimbursement amount for any school or group is $700.
- To be reimbursed for bus expenses related to Student Night at the Opera, schools and groups should submit an electronic invoice to email@example.com after the Student Night at the Opera event with “Bus Reimbursement Request” in the subject line.
- All requests for bus reimbursement must be received by San Diego Opera by June 15.
CURRICULUM: This program enhances drama/theatre arts, music arts, visual arts, history, and language learning. Please refer to our Outline of Educational Support for Student Night at the Opera.
This program is limited to ORGANIZED GROUPS OF YOUTH and SCHOOL GROUPS ONLY (Public City and County Schools, Private Schools, and Home Schools registered with the Board of Education). Chaperone ratios are limited to: no more than ONE chaperone per TEN students attending via school bus transportation, and no more than ONE chaperone per FOUR students attending via car. Don't miss out on this exciting program!
Special thanks to the following organizations that support San Diego Opera's education programs:
Join our email list
Thanks for your interest. Please complete the form below.