Expired! Thank you for your interest. This offer is no longer valid.
Rigoletto: February 2, 5, 8, 10(m), 2019
Carmen: March 30, April 2, 5, 7(m), 2019
San Diego Civic Theatre, 3rd Avenue and B Street, Downtown San Diego
Friends and Family!
You're invited to join me for unforgettable music and drama during San Diego Opera's 2018-2019 Season. I'm signing the featured role of Matteo Borsa in Verdi's masterpiece Rigoletto and am joining SDO's esteemed chorus for Bizet's iconic opera Carmen and I have a special discount just for you!
This great offer includes:
- 25% savings on all Tuesday and Friday evening performances of both Rigoletto and Carmen. (Tickets are also available for Saturday and Sunday performances without the discount.) Prices shows already reflect the discount.
- Free pre-opera lecture, 1 hour before each performance.
- Free backstage tours, beginning at 5:30pm. Please email Vanessa at Vanessa.Dinning@sdopera.org to reserve your spot, subject to availability.
- $10.00 handling fee automatically waived.
Click the "Reserve Now!" button on the right of the page to get started. If you're new to SDO, you'll be asked to create an account or if you're returning, simply log in!
Plan Your Evening
Come early and stay late for great free events and fun with friends.
- Pre-Opera Lectures: Entertaining & Enlightening
- Fun On The Councourse: Signature Cocktails, Delicious Bites & More
- Post-Opera Talk-Back!: Meet The Stars & Get The Insider Scoop
- Directions & Parking: Where to be and how to get there!
by Giuseppe Verdi
The lecherous Duke of Mantua seduces wives and daughters while his hunchbacked Jester, Rigoletto, adds insult to injury by ridiculing their husbands and fathers. Finally, the joke goes too far and a furious father proclaims a curse on Rigoletto. The curse comes to life as the Duke seduces Rigoletto’s young, innocent daughter Gilda and Rigoletto plots his revenge with an attempt to assassinate him, with unbelievably disastrous results. Fast-paced and powerful, this is Verdi at his best with an unforgettable focus on the cruel realities of a society controlled by a corrupt ruling class. You’ll recognize melody after melody, especially the tenor’s arrogant La donna è mobile.
Sung in Italian with projected English translations.
The approximate run time is two hours and thirty minutes, including one intermission.
by Georges Bizet
Carmen is one fiery gypsy woman…a femme fatale who lives life on her own provocative terms. The next notch on her belt is the naïve soldier Don Jose who is bewitched by her passion and gives up everything to be with her, including his sweetheart Micaela. In her true heartless fashion, Carmen becomes bored and callously drops her young lover when her path collides with the macho bullfighting Escamillo. Obsessed and alone, will Don Jose’s jealousy ignites an emotional bonfire that destroys them all. Carmen is an archetype of literature and art set to passionate music that will burn up the stage with its unbridled drama and incredible music, including the “Toreador Song” and the seductive “Habanera.”
Sung in French with projected English translations.
The approximate run time is three hours and fifteen minutes, including one intermission.