Friday, April 5, Pre-opera Reception at 6pm; Performance at 7pm
San Diego Civic Theatre, 3rd Avenue and B Street, Downtown San Diego
San Diego Opera invites you to OUT at the Opera on Friday, April 5, 2019 for Bizet's dazzling and passionate masterpiece, Carmen .
Join your fellow proud San Diegans for a pre-opera reception with light bites by Al Teatro, beer by Modern Times, and wine by Barefoot Winery. We’ll have a special Pride-inspired Step & Repeat, mix and mingle, and hear from San Diego Opera’s own General Director, David Bennett.
- $145: Orchestra - includes pre-opera reception and discounted opera ticket ($25 of the ticket price will be donated to San Diego Pride)
- $174: Upper Loge - includes pre-opera reception and discounted opera ticket ($25 of the ticket price will be donated to San Diego Pride)
- $193: Lower Loge - includes pre-opera reception and discounted opera ticket ($25 of the ticket price will be donated to San Diego Pride)
- $10.00 handling fee waived on all transactions.
- Free backstage tours, beginning at 5:30pm. Please email Vanessa at Vanessa.Dinning@sdopera.org to reserve your spot, subject to availability.
- Personalized service. Please contact Vanessa Dinning at Vanessa.Dinning@sdopera.org if you need any assistance.
Click the "Reserve Now!" button on the right of the page to get started. If you're new to SDO you'll be asked to create an account or if you're returning, simply log in!
Plan Your Evening
Arrive early for great free events, like a pre-opera lecture 1 hour before the performance.
by Georges Bizet
Carmen is one fiery gypsy woman…a femme fatale who lives life on her own provocative terms. The next notch on her belt is the naïve soldier Don Jose who is bewitched by her passion and gives up everything to be with her, including his sweetheart Micaela. In her true heartless fashion, Carmen becomes bored and callously drops her young lover when her path collides with the macho bullfighting Escamillo. Obsessed and alone, will Don Jose’s jealousy ignites an emotional bonfire that destroys them all. Carmen is an archetype of literature and art set to passionate music that will burn up the stage with its unbridled drama and incredible music, including the “Toreador Song” and the seductive “Habanera.”
Sung in French with projected English translations.
The approximate run time is three hours and fifteen minutes, including one intermission.